The market is full of great pool drainage sump pumps. If you come to think about it, you will agree that they all do the same job.
Then what’s the difference?
Well, if you look bit deeper, you will know that some of the sump pumps perform better and faster than others. Moreover, if the lady of the house has to work on the pool drainage system, the sump pumps should come with portability and easy handling option.
To help you decide which sump pump suits your needs, we’ve reviewed four of our top picks.
- Top 4 Best Pool Drainage Sump Pumps On The Market 2021 Reviews
- Pool Drainage Sump Pump Buying Guide
Top 4 Best Pool Drainage Sump Pumps On The Market 2021 Reviews
|(3.8 / 5)|
Sealed thermoplastic construction for submersible usage
1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Water Removal Pool Cover Pumps
iSwitch® Sensing Technology
|(3.7 / 5)|
Thermoplastic body protects against metal corrosion
1/2 HP Submersible Sump Pump
Automatic float switch
|(4.4 / 5)|
Non-corrosive thermoplastic frame
1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump
Pumps 40 gallons in 60 seconds
|(5 / 5)|
Portable stainless steel
1.5HP 1100W stainless steel pump
Automatic float switch
1 WAYNE 57729-WYNP WAPC250 1/4 HP Pool Pumps
WAPC250 is a product of the famous Scott Fetzer Company founded in 1914 in the State of Ohio. Certainly, that itself reflects the durability and reliability of this product.
WAYNE 57729-WYNP WAPC250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Water Removal Pool Cover Pump provides value for your money. Most noteworthy, the pump has an interesting protection circuit that protects the motor from being locked or frozen from the bad impeller condition.
Upon activation, if a locked impeller condition is detected, then the unit will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating.
While it will repeat this cycle until the impeller is freed to resume its normal operation. However, you can always reset the 12 hours delay of this session by unplugging the device.
Let’s look at some great features of this product furthermore:
- iSwitch® Sensing Technology – automatic freeze protection to prevent pump damage with optimal operation
- Worry-free water removal that can be left unattended after plugging in
- Automatic ON/OFF Water Removal Pool Cover Pump
- Strainer base removes debris and minimizes clogging of the pump
- 25-foot power cord
- 25 foot “pull to shore” rope included to position pump on the pool cover
- Oil-free pump
- Energy efficient and high water flow
- 3000 GPH flow rate using 1 ¼” drain hose
- Sealed thermoplastic construction for submersible usage
2 Homdox Submersible Sump Pump 2115GPH
Submersible pumps are efficient tools for pumping out septic pools. The pump is submerged in the fluid that has to be pumped. Submersible pumps are mostly used to pump out excess water from flooded areas such as basements or construction sites. Besides that, they can also be applied over slurries.
Homdox ½ HP submersible sump pump is an effective pump that cleans dirty water at the rate of 2115 GPH. Therefore, you can use it easily in your garden pond, flooded basement, or as a practical yard work accessory.
Below are some of the features that Homdox ½ HP submersible sump pump offers:
- Automatic float switch that comes with start/stop option controls the water level when it’s above/below the required level.
- Higher base plate prevents debris collection in the sump pit
- The maximum flow rate is 2115 GPH
- Power Cord Length: 15 Feet
- Multi-fitting elbow – three fittings to choose from depending upon the flow rate
- Hassle-free usage to clean dirty water from swimming pools, flooded areas, or ponds.
- The thermoplastic body protects against metal corrosion
- Thermal overload protection assures durable operation of the pump
- 1-year warranty
- User manual included
3 Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump
Submersible utility pumps are a great way to drain out a large quantity of water due to floods or stagnation. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump is designed to cater to such problems. Hence, you can use the pump conveniently in any situation.
Rather it is an electrical pump that can be plugged into any household outlet without issues. It has a big motor of 1/ 4 horsepower which can pump around 30 gallons of water per minute, even 25 feet vertically.
Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump in Black color is a supreme pump that has a compact design and powerful performance.
Furthermore, you can easily draw out water from any fields and spaces such as swimming pools, or basements. You can also expect clean areas free of mildew and moisture.
Let’s explore more features of this high performing pump below:
- Non-corrosive thermoplastic frame
- Sleek and compact design
- 6 inches wide, easily fits in small openings
- Includes 3/4 detachable garden hose adapter
- Powerful motor pumps up water to a 25-feet vertical height
- Split capacitor, with continuous-duty motor for nonstop performance
- Pumps 40 gallons in 60 seconds
- Powerful 3.8-amp motor
- 10-inches power cable
- Large 1-1/4 inch discharge for high capacity pumping
- Garden hose adapter included
- You can use this superior pump as a sump pump by adding an optional float switch. However, the float switch is not included
- Listed under UL/CUL – a CSA certified for safety and reliability
- 1/4 Horse Power split capacitor motor, thermally protected
- Clog-resistant uninterrupted pumping
- 1-year warranty
4 Cosway Garden 1.5HP 1100W Power Stainless Steel Water Pump
A good water pump allows excellent cleaning of dirty pool water. Cosway Garden 1.5HP 1100W Power Stainless Steel Water Pump is a submersible pump that performs efficiently for the flood-affected areas.
It has a stainless steel frame built. It has an automatic float switch that can be used in multiple applications.
The Cosway Garden 1.5HP 1100W stainless steel pump is an amazing portable sump pump. Therefore, it can tackle any pool related problem. Besides, when it’s raining, you can keep it down into the basement and keep your house nice and dry.
Let’s check out its features furthermore:
- Portable stainless steel with safe and convenient on/off switch
- Portable with easy carry handle
- Automatic float switch allows multiple applications as a standard submersible or automatic operation using the float switch
- Clears out flooded areas effectively
- 1-year warranty
- User manual included
Pool Drainage Sump Pump Buying Guide
Designs of the utility pumps vary, and most are portable. That is good news since you don’t want to restrict your pump usage to your pool.
However, you might need to get rid of water from other places such as flooded basements and ponds. Most importantly, the unit that comes in handy and can be carried easily from one place to another would prove to be an ideal design.
The amount of water the pump will remove per hour depends upon its flow rate. Therefore, you need to make sure how much water you have in your pool and how much time you would like to spend removing it?
For a quicker process, your sump pump should get rid of the water in as little time as possible. Hence, a ½ HP motor might be the right choice for you. Anything less than that just might not be very impressive.
The Pump Head
The pump head will determine the level of water that needs to be pumped upwards out of the pool to the drainage point. The pumps have a head rating, due to that they can pump up to a given value in feet vertically. Also, note that if you increase the vertical head, you will have a reduced flow rate.
You want fully cleaned water, right? In that case, you’ll need to purchase a water pump with a decent-sized discharge.
Probably, a 1 ½ or 2-inch NPT discharge lets the solids pass through without maximizing the risk of clogging. Hence, that means lower maintenance costs for you.
The Bottom Suction
In order to clear your pool completely from water, you will need a sump pump that will have water intake from the bottom and not from the side. Therefore, that will make sure water is pumped out even from the lower levels. Certainly, the pump should not have to struggle for six inches of water left inside.
A sump pump can be good for other reasons as well apart from just clearing out the pools. You might consider making use of your sump pump to drain out water from flooded basements (in case of emergency), spas, pool covers, hot tubs, or even more pump water from a creek or local stream!
Finally, you will find two basic types of drainage sump pumps – the submersible and the non-submersible pumps.
Which one is the better choice?
The submersible pumps usually are the ones you can see in the basement waiting for the groundwater to rise before they can evacuate it.
Portable submersible sump pumps, as discussed in the review above, are the high profiled kind. As a result, they can be used above and around the pool to drain water off the covers. Also, they can bring down the water level for maintenance purpose.
The non-submersibles, or the “pedestal” pumps, stand upright on a pedestal. Therefore, the motor is never intended to be underwater. Because they have a float dangling from the top for an automatic start. Consequently, their usage and operation are limited to draining water from the pool cover, and not the sides.
Hence, you can easily conclude that the best pool drainage sump pump will allow you to do more than clearing water off the pool cover. Above all, once you find the right choice for your needs, you will feel safe and sound when it comes to maintaining the safety of your entire property.